Facebook is by far the largest social media platform in the world. Creating a page on Facebook’s platform allows you to reach millions of new people, as well as stay in touch with existing fans. Viral pages have been known to reach hundreds of thousands of people in as quickly as a week from creation.
Here’s how to create a Facebook Page, as well as a few tips for success.
Step 1: Getting Started
Get started by going to http://www.facebook.com/pages/. Click on “Create Page.”
Step 2: Choose Page Type
Select what kind of page you want to create.
Step 3: Name Your Page
Give your page a name. If Facebook needs additional basic information, they’ll ask for it here.
Step 4: Add Profile Image
Add an image from either your website or from your computer. Pick an image that accurately represents your brand.
Step 5: Invite People
Once your page is up, it’s time to get people to visit. There are two ways you can do this: By building friends, or by importing your contact list from somewhere else. The first option will send a Facebook invite, while the second will take your existing contacts and let them know you’ve created a page.
Step 6: Edit Your Information
Click the “Edit Info” button at the top to edit your page details.
Edit your category and most importantly your description. You can also create a username for your page here.
Step 7: Posting to the Wall
All that’s left is to post content to your wall. Posting to your wall is like posting to any other wall on Facebook. You can post in text, as well as attach multimedia content and hyperlinks. One unique feature of pages is the ability to ask questions.
Play by the Book when Posting Facebook Updates
Here are a few tips for running a successful Facebook page.
- Short, Snappy Posts. People on Facebook will usually see you content through their feeds, rather than explicitly visiting your page. When you’re appearing in their feeds, it’s best to have short and snappy posts. This helps catch their attention and keep it. Overly long or boring posts tend to lose readership.
- Post Regularly. Get people used to reading your content. Try to post on a regular schedule, daily if possible. Since a status update really shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to write, you can even write it all at once for the week and just post it at the end of the day every day.
- Have a Two-Way Dialogue. Get your readership involved. Ask them questions. Have conversations. Don’t just use your page as a one way outlet of information and promotions. Instead, use your page to actually talk to your customers. Give them a chance to express themselves.
- Encourage Free Speech. One of the biggest mistakes brands make is limiting what customers can and can’t say. Even if customers are posting dissident information on your boards, you should welcome the opposition. Let your readers speak freely.
- Respond. If you don’t respond regularly and quickly to comments and questions, people will simply stop responding. On the other hand, if you respond quickly and regularly, people will enjoy participating more and do it more regularly.
- Use Multimedia. Don’t just use text. A few years ago, communicating through social media with just text was entertaining and engaging. Today however, to really catch someone’s attention you should use a variety of media, including images and videos.
- Be Human. Don’t just be an anonymous brand. Let them get to know you, who you are, what you stand for and your personality. Don’t be afraid to make a joke or let a little humanity come through.
- Give Value. Every once in a while, host a contest or giveaway that’s exclusive to your Facebook fans. This helps create reciprocity and increases loyalty. Reward them for following you on Facebook.