Planning an event involves juggling many different balls and handling a lot of different people. If you happen to be a visual person, one of the most creative ways to help you manage this whole process is Pinterest.
Pinterest is an online photo sharing tool that works a lot like a virtual corkboard. Just “pin” up pictures of what you want to organize on this virtual corkboard and share it with other people, who may also want to pin up ideas for your event.
Here are some suggestions on how to plan an event using Pinterest.
Step 1: Create a Board
To create a board, click “Add” in the upper right corner.
Click “Create a Board.”
Enter your board’s details. If you are planning a public event and want to build interest for your event, choose a name that is very descriptive and something interested parties would be interested in. For example, if you’re organizing a business seminar, use seminar’s name and planned date for the event. Or if you’re planning your wedding and want to build up excitement, use the name of the bride and groom.
Step 2: Install the Pin It Button
Throughout the process of planning an event, you’re going to have to pin a lot of images. While you can pin each image individually by uploading it or pointing to a web address, the fastest method by far is by installing the Pin It button.
To install the Pin It button, click “About” then “Pin It Button.”
Drag your Pin It Button to your bookmarks.
This will allow you to use the “Pin It” at the top of your browser to pin photos from whatever page you happen to be visiting.
Step 3: Create Boards for Each Category
What are some of the most important things you need to organize and share in your event?
For a party, you might want to have:
For planning a business seminar, you might want to have:
- Guest speakers
- Location (hotels, conference halls, etc)
- Equipment (microphones, projectors, etc)
Before you begin, brainstorm a list of categories that you will need to plan and then proceed to create boards for all those categories. That will make it easier to pin as you start getting into the groove of researching ideas. All you have to do is pin and keep going.
Step 4: Add Pins to Your Board
To add pins to your board, simply navigate to a relevant webpage and click “Pin It.” Choose the image you want to pin, then select its board and give it a description. If you plan to collaborate on your panning, make sure to list some pros/cons or reasons for wanting to consider the particular item.
Rinse and repeat until you’ve pinned up all kinds of interesting or useful photographs on your various boards.
Step 5: Invite Collaborators
Few events are organized by single individuals. Instead, most events are organized by people brainstorming. One of the best ways to use Pinterest is to have other people also add photos and ideas to your Pinterest boards.
To invite others, click “Edit” under the board in which you want collaborators.
Select “Me and Contributors” under “Who can pin?” Then add the names of the people who you want to participate.
Step 6: More Ways to Use Pinterest for Planning Your Event
There are so many ways you can use Pinterest to help plan your event. You can …
- Help brainstorm ideas. For example, if you’re picking flowers, you can pin 30 different kinds of flowers that you might consider. Take a vote or simply get some feedback if the end decision belongs to you.
- Create a photo guestbook. Pin a picture of everyone who is attending or who you want to attend.
- Create to-do lists. For example, you could create a Pinterest board that has only photos of things that you need to buy before the event.
- Activities. Use the Pinterest board to show people what kind of activities they might expect.
- Brainstorm. Use a Pinterest board just for sharing wacky ideas.
- Share photos after. After the event, have everyone pin up their photos. It’s much more efficient than hoping everyone will tag everyone in their Facebook uploads.
Pinterest is a powerful tool for planning, managing and hosting an event. Use it to help make the whole process smoother, easier and more creative.